Northwest Corridor Express Lanes – Atlanta, GA
- Georgia Department of Transportation
Design And Urban Planning, Engineering
The award-winning Northwest Corridor Express Lanes is the largest constructed transportation project in Georgia’s history and the first Georgia Department of Transportation (GDOT) project to be procured as a design-build finance. Parsons was the lead designer for this massive urban freeway project, which involved 29.7 miles of reversible tolled express lanes along I-75 and I-575 in metropolitan Atlanta, three intersecting interstate highways, and 39 bridges.
Parsons’ project team responded to the inherent challenges of such a large and complex project with alternative technical concepts, accelerated bridge construction techniques, and creative solutions. By doing this, the project has reduced costs by approximately $110 million and finished on an accelerated schedule. Also, our solutions reduced impacts on the environment, highway users, and the traveling public along the corridor.
Intelligent Transportation Solutions
Utilizing our intelligent transportation solutions, we helped GDOT to monitor traffic, control messaging signs, and operate access gates. In addition, our team supported the Georgia State Road and Tollway Authority (SRTA) by providing the design/furnish/installation of our intelligent transportation solution network and the installation/configuration of Parsons’ iNET™ software to collect traffic volumes and enable dynamic toll pricing.
Since 2018, the Northwest Corridor Express Lanes has received multiple awards and accolades.
- 2018 Top 10 Roads – Ranked No. 1 from Roads & Bridges magazine
- 2018 Preconstruction Design Competition Grand Award from Georgia Partnership for Transportation Quality (GPTQ) on 11/9/2018
- 2019 Engineering Excellence Awards – National Recognition Award from American Council of Engineering Companies (ACEC) on 05/1/2019
- 2019 Engineering Excellence State Award, Transportation category from American Council of Engineering Companies of Georgia (ACEC Georgia)
- 2019 PCI Design Award, Transportation (main span, more than 150 feet) category from Precast/Prestressed Concrete Institute (PCI) on 03/1/2019
- 2019 Engineering Excellence Grand Prize Award from American Council of Engineering Companies of Georgia (ACEC Georgia) on 02/23/2019
- 2019 National Merit Award – Transportation from Design-Build Institute of America (DBIA) on 08/1/2019
- 2019 Global Road Achievement Award – Traffic Management and Intelligent Transportation Systems and Program Management Awards from International Road Federation
- 2019 American Society of Civil Engineers (ASCE GA) – Large Project
We help communities around the world move people and goods safely and efficiently. As leaders in integrated design and delivery, and experts in the digital enablement of traditional transportation infrastructure, we combine new technologies – like cloud-based intelligent transportation solutions – with legacy infrastructure, to improve traffic efficiency, enhance safety, reduce emissions, and maximize our clients’ investment. Learn more.