Los Angeles International Airport Landside Access Modernization Program (LAMP) – Los Angeles, California
- Los Angeles World Airports (LAWA)
Program/Construction Management (PM/CM)
Los Angeles International Airport (LAX) is the world’s busiest origin and destination airport, and consistently ranks as one of the world’s top airports in terms of passenger and cargo activity. By 2030, it’s expected that LAX will serve over 125 million passengers yearly. The City of Los Angeles and larger Southern California region are witnessing a surge in both business and leisure travel and are gearing up to host the 2028 Summer Olympic and Paralympic Games. To accommodate this growth, Los Angeles World Airports (LAWA) has undertaken a $5.5 billion Landside Access Modernization Program (LAMP) at LAX to improve access to and from the airport, reduce traffic congestion, and enhance the visitor experience.
The Landside Access Modernization Program (LAMP) at LAX is currently one of the largest infrastructure programs underway in the United States.
Elements Of The LAMP Project
- Automated People Mover (APM)
- Consolidated Rent-A-Car facility (ConRAC)
- Roadway, Utilities and Enabling improvements (RUE)
- Intermodal Transportation Facilities (ITF); ITF-West, now known as LAX Economy Parking and ITF-East
Landside Access Modernization Program (LAMP) Project Scope
As the owner’s representative for LAMP, we are providing a broad range of project and construction management services, from procurement through construction and final closeout. We have implemented measures to ensure minimal disruptions to existing operations, airlines, and traffic.
Our services include:
- Owner’s representative for Public-Private-Partnership
- Megaproject governance strategy
- Multisource funding plan
- Project delivery and contracting strategy
- Outreach, messaging, and support development
- Risk management
- Engineering design and management
- Procurement and contract management
- Design management expertise
- Strategic advising
- Program management
- Construction management
- Electric vehicle supply equipment (EVSE) technology, design and installations
- Feasibility studies
Automated People Mover (APM)
We have served as the Project Management/Construction Management (PM/CM) consultant and owner’s representative for the award-winning Automated People Mover since 2017. The APM design-build-finance-operate-maintain contract is one of the largest public works projects in the U.S., and largest public-private partnership (P3), in California’s history.
The APM will operate 24 hours, seven days a week and will be free to the public.
The 2.25-mile, zero-emissions, electric train system includes an elevated, dual lane grade-separated guideway connecting the Central Terminal Area to the LAX Economy Parking facility that opened in 2021, in addition to the regional light rail system and the Consolidated Rent-A-Car (ConRAC) facility.
Automated People Mover Sustainability Features
LAX’s APM project has been recognized for its innovative sustainability features, garnering honors such as the Envision Gold Certification for its Maintenance and Storage Facility (MSF) by the Institute for Sustainable Infrastructure and the 2023 Trailblazer Project of the Year award by the Los Angeles Sustainability Coalition.
Sustainability features include:
- The creation of power through a regenerative braking system that captures energy that is otherwise lost during vehicle braking.
- A solar power system on the roof of the APM’s MSF that will provide 40% of the facility’s energy needs and 7% of the overall APM’s power requirements.
- Train cars made from fully recyclable aluminum shells.
HIRELAX Program – Building Foundations for the Community
In 2017, LAWA launched the HireLAX Apprenticeship Readiness Program to prepare local residents for skilled craft labor careers that support LAX’s Capital Improvement Program.
Continuing The Mission At LAX
Check out our innovation article, Continuing the Mission, where Christina Watkins, local Hire Coordinator for Construction at LAX, shares her first-hand account of how the HireLAX program has prepared hundreds of community members for careers in construction and overall professional success.
This award-winning, Parsons-designed and managed program is a collaboration between public agencies, higher education, nonprofits, unions, and the private sector. The initiative provides local residents access to a free and comprehensive construction apprenticeship program. Once complete, HireLAX graduates are matched with unions and contractors working on LAX projects in addition to receiving ongoing mentorship to help overcome employment barriers.
From the program’s inception in 2017 to 2023, HireLAX has graduated and placed 279 local residents in construction and trade roles.
- 2018 Global P3 of the Year – Best Transit Project (APM project) from P3 Bulletin
- 2022 Envision Gold Award (APM project) from Institute for Sustainable Infrastructure (ISI)
- 2022 Innovative Facility of the Year (LAX Economy Parking/ITW West) from National Parking Association
- 2023 Trailblazer Project of The Year Award from Los Angeles Sustainability Coalition (LASC)
- 2023 Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design (LEED) Gold certification (ConRAC) from U.S. Green Building Council (USGBC)
- 2023 Energy and Operational Carbon Design Merit award for the Consolidated Rent-A-Car (ConRAC) from the U.S. Green Building Council’s Los Angeles chapter (USGBC-LA)