Newark Public Schools - Newark, New Jersey
We have the tools, the technology, and the expertise
Parsons’ innovative approach in providing its facility assessment services allows our dedicated staff of more than 200 professional assessors to serve as an extension of our customers’ resources. We provide a thorough and cost-effective analysis of building conditions, assist in prioritizing projects, and develop successful capital plans with modified software that meets our customers’ requirements.
Whether our customers need to secure additional funding for one building or a hundred, the Parsons Facility Assessment Group ensures that their dollars are spent efficiently. Facility condition assessments are the foundation on which we build successful structures. At Parsons, we determine the discrete facets of a customer’s facilities by performing the tasks required to justify capital expenditures:
- Compare conditions of the facilities and estimate the costs of needed repairs and renovations.
- Forecast facility conditions and funding scenarios.
- Maintain data in a system that allows users to develop future budgets. For example, we have the tools, technology, and expertise to provide the following data:
- Short-term and long-term events for strategic planning
- Forecasting for future investments
- Parity highlights and equity issues
- Define requirements to solve problems, launch baseline for the master plan, and deliver the credible and defensible data.
San Francisco Unified School District - San Francisco, California
Parsons has developed a proven system for defining the customer’s requirements clearly so we can work the project effectively:
Establish current repair costs. Condition assessment is a specialty. It takes experience to evaluate the cause of a deficiency. Parsons establishes the current repair cost of a building by walking through the facility and collecting its data using the comprehensive and updated RS Means database to provide accurate cost estimates, creating a five-level prioritized list of repairs, and then applying the Facility Condition Index (FCI) formula to determine the facility’s replacement value. We help our customers establish a budget that will be successful in controlling costs while we resolve the most critical deficiencies.
Forecast future costs. Understanding future deficiencies is just as important as calculating a building’s current conditions. Parsons forecasts costs by breaking down a building into its individual components. Facility managers establish both short-term and long-term budgets by estimating the life of the building’s systems and then calculating the forecast cost based on their representative portion of the building’s total replacement value.
Maintain project data. The Parsons COMET (condition management estimation technology) software can be modified to include forecast, current, and historical data from previous assessments, including a current set of typical deficiencies and the best corrections for them. For our cost models and life-cycle analyses, we apply the nationally recognized Building Owners and Managers Association (BOMA) standards to assign the life expectancy for all building systems and the RS Means as a source of repair and replacement costs.
Plan energy-efficient systems. Parsons’ full-time energy-efficiency experts serve a twofold function:
- We increase the energy effectiveness of our customers’ buildings.
- Based on our assessment process, we identify green building attributes, facility/customer needs, and sustainable building material components.